Friday, May 11, 2012

Glass Houses - Rachel Caine

For the horror theme in Bookclub this term, I read 'Glass Houses' by Rachel Caine.

The book is the first in the 'Morganville Vampires' series; my friend recommended it to me so I thought I should give it a go. I'm not really a horror genre person, the only ones I read are an occasional Steven King novel. Vampire books are really not usually my thing.
The story follows a 16-year old girl named Claire, who is super smart and graduated high school two years early and decides to go to college. But seeing as Yale is really far away and her parents are frightened that she won't be able to handle it, she gets sent to this creepy university closer to home in a town called Morganville. I don't want to give the whole plot away, but she moves into a house with two guys and a girl after some popular girls at her university try to kill her by pushing her down the stairs, and she finds out that the town has some creepy vampire connections and gets wrapped up in it all.

If that doesn't sound like your thing, I still reckon you should give it a go. It's probably more of a girls read, just because it has a female main character, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that guys wouldn't enjoy it either. There are guy characters in it too and a fun amount of vampire violence. The thing that caught my attention the most though, was how it was written. It was published in 2006, but I feel like I could relate to it (all the main characters being between the ages of 16 and 19) because the author really gets into the teenage frame of mind as she writes.

It's hard to do the book justice in a review, but all in all, it's a great book. I read it in one day, which should tell you that it's worth it. So if you're looking for something different, definitely go for it!

No comments: