Friday, June 5, 2009

The Hunting of the Last Dragon - Sherryl Jordan


Hi Everyone,
After the last Sherryl Jordan book that I read turned out to be a 'hopeless, lump of pus', I was a bit reluctant to read this one. But the passage from the book that was part of the blurb, captured my attention, and I decided to give Sherryl Jordan another chance.
"High overhead, a dragon flies on coppery wings, raining down fire and destruction on all that lies below. The last of the great beasts, it wreaks havoc everywhere it flies, burning the countryside and its terrified inhabitants to grey ash and cinders with its fiery breath. Desperate and frightened, the people pray for a hero to save them...".
After reading the book, Sherryl Jordan drastically increased the little honour I had for her books. The Hunting of the Last Dragon is a terrific book, fueled with great history, touching friendship, courage, strength and the heart to keep going.
Jude is no hero. Deeply traumatized after returning to find his village a charcoaled ruin and his family dead, he is picked up by a travelling fair, where he rescues the strange yet beautiful Jing-wei from a life as a caged freak.
Eluding their pursuers, Jude and Jing-wei meet Lan, a wise old Chinese woman who straightens Jing-wei's bound and crippled feet, and reveals to Jude his destiny. He alone must kill the last dragon.
With Jing-wei's help and Lan's ancient knowledge, Jude and Jing-wei set out to destroy the beast, and embark on the perilous journey that becomes the hunting of the last dragon.
It's a great young adult book that some Eragon fans may find enjoyable.
8/10 from me.

1 comment:

dara_grl_11 said...

I vote for you!!! I liked your blog with how you gave us an idea of the book without revealing much. I think that I have tried this book and that I gave up on it. Now I think that I will give it another go. Thanks!