Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Twilight - An alternative view

Twilight - An alternative view

Seducing, heart-breakingly sweet, with plenty of tension and the everyday fantasy of an average teenager. Agreed. But to me, these elements of the romance threw me in the completely opposite direction. Many people absolutely fell in LOVE with this story. I didn't. And heres why.

Was it love? True love? Or was it just "love at first sight?" Frankly, none of us would really know what the characters themselves are feeling, simply as we are not Bella or Edward. Or Stephenie Meyer. But several events points to maybe not so much love at first sight or what I believe to be "true love," but something in between.

Edward. Most likely extremely attractive, as he is a vampire. More than that, he saves Bella's life. Very sweet. But is this all there is to falling in love? Appearances - lust. Saving your life - feeling indebted, or overjoyed that someone would do that for your sake. But what about loving the person for who they are? There was not an awful lot of communication and understanding between them before Bella confessed her feelings to the reader. Is this not, in essence, lacking understanding of each others personality?

Bella. Beautiful despite her modesty. Appears to be a weak girl who tries to be strong. More lust, more induction of the feeling to protect such an innocent figure. And whats more, the very reason Edward is attracted to her is her scent, and the fact that he cannot read her mind. It seems to me that none of the reasons included loving each other on the inside. How can this be true love?

Is this all there is to love? Surely they fell in love too fast. So fast it seemed unrealistic, or as if it was simply lust, or induction of impure feelings. This idea of love, Stephenie Meyer's idea of love, to me, was sickening. And because of it, any more details on their romance made me dislike the novel even more, all because of the doubt of whether or not this was true love.

Many people thoroughly enjoyed this book. And that is fine. We are all entitled to our own opinions, and especially our own ideas of such an abstract topic as love. But the fact that this is a romance novel, and again, one that failed to show me or make me feel love, is the reason for all this critisism. Feel free to comment and tell us your opinions on this book, and why you feel that way. Maybe you can even slightly change the way I feel about this novel.

- Carmen

8 comments:

The Nanny / Fawlty Towers Fan said...

I haven't read the book, and I'm not going to, but I think that your reviews are really good, especially your well thought out and justified criticism. I VOTE FOR YOU.

luv_to_read said...

I have read twilight and I thought it was an awesome book. However, I realise that many of the points you make are valid and I agree with them. I enjoyed Twilight not so much for Edward and Bella but because it defies the traditional qualities of vampire society. Your review was thoughtful and effective in conveying your opinion. I VOTE FOR YOU

DMalhotra said...

I VOTE FOR YOU

Name Has Expired said...

I have seen the movie and personally dont like it but you may like it, it your opinion

MEEE (ash) said...

I agree with you on all your points about "true love" not being portrayed correctly. But I thought the book was written well and I really enjoyed reading it (considering my username). Your review is really good and you made me reconsider what I felt about the book. so...I VOTE FOR YOU.



By the way, if you're going to read the host, then you would absolutely hate the way melanie fell in love with jared.

animegurl said...

Carmen,I really like your blogs! They are so opinionated but also tell you about the book. bUT i think what you must realise about twilight with edward and bella is that yea, i must admit edwards love of bella is totally about her smell-rolls eyes- but then he loves her for who she is-truly. And it is the same with bella, you've just got to realise that romance usually sparks with attraction then becomes something more...Though i inderstand your critism and enjoyed it. I VOTE FOR YOU

The Nanny / Fawlty Towers Fan said...

this is joanna. i vote for you :D

Library staff said...

I like this review because it is about Vampires and it also has love on it.This book Twilight is not bad at all.I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm gussing it is going to be cool.

By Emmanuel.